If you wish to study in Canada, you will need to obtain a Canadian study permit, which serves as a Canadian student visa for the duration of your stay. And for full-time students registered at an accredited higher education institution. It will also help you study permit also allows you to work part-time on campus.

Process for obtaining a Canadian student visa is as follows:

✓ You must first obtain a standardized letter of acceptance from a recognized higher education provider in order to study there.

✓ Even students studying in Quebec must also apply for a certificate of acceptance, known as a CAQ, from the government of Quebec. You need to acquire this before you are permitted to apply for a study permit. You can get this online, by printing out a form, or by requesting a paper form from your university, which will also provide advice on this subject.

✓ The next stage is to get a Canadian student visa application package, which you can get from the CIC website or by contacting your local visa office, or the Canadian embassy or consulate in your home country. You may also need to obtain a temporary residence permit if you are from a designated country (find out if you need to get one here), as this will not complicate matters too much as it’ll be processed at the same time as your study permit application.

✓ If you wish to get your application package, you’ll need to answer a few questions about yourself on the CIC website. These questions will determine whether you are eligible to apply online for a Canadian student permit or not, and what documents you’ll need to provide.

✓ If you are found eligible, you will receive a personal checklist code, valid for 60 days, which you will need in order to submit your application online. Make sure to print out the page containing your code for future reference. The page will also include an application guide, an estimated tuition fees amount, a list of documents you will need to submit with your application, and guidelines for your next steps.

✓ When you are ready to apply, create a MyCIC account, where you will enter your personal checklist code. You will then receive your personal document checklist which allows you to upload and send your documents to CIC.

You’ll need a printer or a scanner to do this.

Once you have your documents and application form ready and have paid your fees, you can submit your completed application to CIC.

Working while you study in Canada :

If you’d like to get a part-time job to help support yourself while studying in Canada, you can now qualify to work on or off-campus for up to 20 hours during university semesters and full-time during breaks such as the winter or summer holidays, without the need for a work permit.

To qualify, you must have:

  1. A valid study permit.
  2. You need to be a full-time student.
  3. Be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level.
  4. You need to be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.
  5. You will also need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs, as it’s mandatory.

Things you need to know: Your study permit will become invalid 90 days time period after you have completed your study program, so you’ll need to acquire a post-graduation work permit if you want to stay in Canada after your studies and seek work. This is valid for three years. If you need advice on finding a job after university, don’t worry we are there to help.

Sometime applicants may have to attend an interview at their local visa office.