The temporary resident visa (TRV) is a document that allows an alien to proceed to an entry point of the territory to enter Canada.

All foreign nationals who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada require a visa to enter Canada unless they have a visa exemption. A permit is different from a visa. A visa allows you to enter Canada, but it is the study permit that authorizes you to remain and study in Canada. You do not need to renew your TRV if you dont leave Canada and do not plan to travel to another country.

If you are a temporary resident in Canada with valid status (that is, you have a valid study permit or work permit), you can also apply for a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada before you leave.

You can apply in Canada if:

  • You are a legally admitted

student /foreign worker

  • In Canada with a Canadian residential address,

Your current temporary resident status is still valid, and your existing visa counterfoil is expired or was valid for only one entry and you need a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada in the near future.

If this does apply to you, follow these steps.

  1. Decide how you will apply: You can apply online or on paper.

Apply online

You must have:

Access to a scanner or camera to make electronic copies of your documents to upload, and

a valid credit card to pay with.

  1. Get the application package

The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Read the instructions on this page carefully before you fill out the form.

Please note the following.

You must fill out and sign your own form, even if you are travelling as part of a family. If you are under 18, a parent or guardian must sign your form.

We will not refund your application fee.

Even if you send a complete application and all the needed supporting documents, you may not get a visa.

Be sure to send us all documents we asked for. Missing information or documents can delay your application.

  1. Pay your application fees

The Case Processing Centre-Ottawa (CPC-O) only accepts payment online or through a financial institution in Canada.

You must get the right receipt and provide it when you apply.

The CPC-O will not take any other forms of payment, including money orders, certified cheques or bank drafts.

  1. Submit your application

When you have filled out the application forms, make sure you:

sign and date them, and

include all documents and proof you paid the application fee in the envelope.


To make sure your application is not delayed:

pay your fee a few days before you mail your application (financial institutions and credit card companies may need up to five business days to validate your payment),

apply at least two months before you plan to leave Canada and

fill out the new 2D barcode form online (if you fill out the application by hand, it will take longer to process).

We process applications in the order we get them.

We have not yet set processing times for in-Canada applications. We will post updates on this website when they are available.

One or more of the following could delay the processing of your application:

your application is not complete,

you need a medical exam,

you need a background or security check,

you have a criminal record,

you need an interview,

we need to verify your documents or

other things complicate your case.

Using a representative

You do not need a representative to apply to visit or immigrate to Canada. However, you can choose to use on.